[Rhodes22-list] Buying Sails

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Thu Sep 14 08:00:50 EDT 2023

Yep, that’s it and technically, that’s all you need.  I have been using the same system on my boat since my Dad  bought it In 1889 used. I would buy a CDI ( least expensive) or similar if it was highest priority of projects but it’s not. Once purchased and installed you will need to  have your foresail luff modified with a bolt rope to be able to hoist it.
The old system works. There is potential that the furling line takes a wrap around the tube underneath the aluminum plate which requires a trip to the bow , always at the most inappropriate times.
A CDI furler will allow you to change head sails. The original does not.
As for the 135% v the big dude***
I like my big Genny. I often use it without the main if downwind in enough breeze. I learned to use it in all conditions, including 20+ kts.
But I would/ will upgrade it all when I can. Moving this morning to Safe Harbor. Off the mooring on Shinnecock Bay to Old Fort pond as Hurricane Lee will pass by to close for comfort in the next two days.
Ric
Dadventure
Hampton Bays
Ny