[Rhodes22-list] in mast furler advice appreciated

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 10:30:09 EDT 2023

Hey Hank,
Sorry to hear about your trials. Your analysis is spot on I think. Ive been
sailing Rhodes for almost 50 years and letting the furling line  whip into
the mast on an un restricted deployment will often result in what you
described. If you can manage in calm wind,  try to raise the mast, tune the
rigging ( lots of threads in the archives on this) and then orient the boat
on the trailer so you have “port tack”. Try deploying the main slowly with
some tension on the furling line.  The boom should be on your stb qtr with
the out haul slightly lower than the gooseneck. Hopefully this will confirm
your analysis. Furl and deploy until until  it seems comfortable and
natural. Watch closely to see that the problem was not in the mechanism
itself. The only other problem I ever had in all these years was the strap
at the head of the sail became detached and the sail sagged down. Not good
when you are several miles offshore in Mexico. But because of the
simplicity of the system, like you, I got it furled.  Uh the system was
simple, not you Hank. Grin. Anyway, welcome to the club and I’m sure there
are several other Rhodies who can add their thoughts for a solution.

Chris Geankoplis
Xenos