[Rhodes22-list] How robust are the pintles?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Sep 29 15:42:53 EDT 2023

Hi Peter,

Attached are 2 pictures of the Factory GBI mast crutch:

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D9F2EC.43D9A140]
Close-Up Of GBI Stern Mast Crutch

Note how the majority of the load is borne by the transom and not the rudder pintles.  I would not recommend using the rudder pintles in the way you are proposing.

I like the nice wide funneling scoop on the top of the GBI mast crutch.  It must be really nice when unstepping the mast.  I also like the starting height of the mast crutch when you begin the lift to step the mast.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D9F2EC.43D9A140]
Rhodes 22 almost rigged for trailering with GBI stern mast crutch

About the only thing I don’t like about the GBI stern mast crutch is how much vertical clearance is required when going down the road.  Otherwise, it’s a great design!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium