[Rhodes22-list] New search feature link bug?

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Fri Apr 12 16:52:44 EDT 2024

Mike,

Hmmm indeed.

I've found that I can create similar behavior in both Safari and Firefox, but it is very puzzling.

There's a file of PHP code associated with the URL 'email-archives.html'.  If that code receives no additional parameters, it will create a web page that displays the list of post subjects for the current month.  If it receives a 'post=' parameter, it will create a page that displays that single post. That's all controlled by code I wrote.

What I've found is that if I quit my browser application, then click on the link for post 104513 in my email client, the browser app will open and display the list of all posts for the month, essentially ignoring the 'post=' parameter.  If I then click on the link in my email client a second time, a second tab is opened in the browser app, and the new tab will display just the individual post as it should.

I'd call this a browser bug, except both Safari and Firefox behave exactly the same way.

Personally, I never quit my browser app, so I never would have discovered this.

I'm not sure what can be done about this...

--Peter

> On 2024-04-12, at 13:50:22 EDT, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
>
> Peter,
>
> I love the new web interface on Rhodes22.net.
>
> The link that you sent with the email below points to Rhodes22.net as: <a
> href="https://www.rhodes22.net/email-archives.html?post=104513">https://www.rhodes22.net/email-archives.html?post=104513</a>
>
> The original MailMan list stored the web page at Rhodes22.org as: <a
> href="http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2021-March/087618.html">http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2021-March/087618.html</a>
>
> The first time that I click on the Rhodes22.net link, the web browser displays:
> <a
> href="https://www.rhodes22.net/email-archives.html">https://www.rhodes22.net/email-archives.html</a>
> seemingly throwing away the "post" attribute.
> The same is true if the link is pasted into the browser.
>
> If I repeat clicking on the link, the browser displays the desired page the
> second time.
> This activity is seen on both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
>
> Hmmm....
>
> Mike
> s/v Wind Lass ('91)
> Nissequogue River, NY