[Rhodes22-list] Wasps

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Apr 18 12:54:23 EDT 2024

Peter,

If you lay on your back in the cockpit and slide under the cockpit bench, you will surprised by a very large area inside the gunnel that serves as a great place for wasps to make a nest. They fly under the seats and up into the protected area.

Once a year they get so bad that I put plastic sheeting down to protect the cockpit floor, place plywood across the cockpit seats to close the space, and place a wasp insecticide bomb in the center of the cockpit floor. This usually takes out all of the critters in the cabin, cockpit and lazarette.

If you sail more frequently and play loud music (my speakers are in the lazarette facing the cockpit) they usually find a more suitable location.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)