[Rhodes22-list] Pipe Insulation in the Mast

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 17:19:20 EDT 2024

I tried something that worked for  many years.  I ran the wires that had
been wiped down with di-electric grease. I then drilled a few holes about
6-8 feet apart on the front of the mast. The diameter of the holes was a
bit larger than the diameter of the nozzle for a can of expanding foam. I
then injected each hole with enough to fill the void immediately below the
hole. This secured the wires and after doing this to each hole, the wires
were secure and I created several water tight compartments in case the
impossible happens and the boat capsized ( it happened to me, that’s
another story). After 10 years there didn’t seem to be a down side. Adding
a wire could be a bit problematic, but doable. I replaced one wire and with
the grease I just spliced a messenger line on and pulled the bad wire out
and then the new one back in. So, for me it was quick, easy and cheap. One
guy’s idea.
Chris Geankoplis
Xenos.