[Rhodes22-list] My experiences with Yamaha 9.9 and Torqeedo 3 hp motors on R22

David Keyes rhodes22dave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 17:31:44 EDT 2024

For over 20 years, I used a Yamaha 9.9 motor linked (with several generations of Stan’s link designs) on my 2001 and 2011 Rhodes 22s.  I liked everything about this arrangement except that notwithstanding numerous adjustments and cleanings of the carburetor and throttle, it always needed to idle too fast when returning through a narrow area and then making a 90-degree turn into my slip.  However, I would have kept the motor “forever” except that the cables between the tiller-mounted gear/throttle control and the motor corroded and broke.  Yamaha had discontinued the replacement cables, and I couldn’t make a satisfactory replacement.

So I bought a 3 hp easily portable Torqeedo electric motor, with two Torqeedo-branded BMW lithium batteries and a solar panel.  I would have preferred the 8hp motor, but the battery installation for that is larger, heavier, and not portable, and we don’t have reliable shore power because the lake is not constant level.  As a result, the motor is satisfactory for getting in and out of the marina area, but its range and speed are inadequate for much more.  Maximum speed (since the motor is under-powered for the size and weight of the R22) is about 4 mph.  But I usually opt for less speed to preserve electric reserve.  One time, a squall of about 25-35mph headwind occurred out in the middle of the lake.  I was able to make direct headway against the wind and waves at about 1.9 mph.  I had to keep straight into the wind, or the wind would catch on the hull of the boat and blow it broadside and then away from the wind.

The lake has been only 1/3 full for the past two years, and when it fills, I should take the boat about 10-15 miles towards the dam to a marina that can haul my boat out and paint the bottom.  That was an easy cruise at about 6-7 mph with the Yamaha but seems like it would be a slow, long trek challenging my electric battery range even with two batteries and a solar panel.

Also, I have to take off the removable tiller from the Torqeedo, because Stan’s electric motor lift is right up against the transom.  So with the motor mounted straight fore and aft, I need to use a pivot line to back out of my slip and get the boat turned 90 degrees.  But returning, in forward gear, it is wonderful to be able to slow the boat down to any slow speed and precisely make my 90 degree turn into the slip.

David Keyes
S/V Arrowhead 2 (if it had a name painted on the hull, which it doesn’t)