[Rhodes22-list] Mooring advice

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Jun 9 08:42:00 EDT 2024

Matt,

On mooring balls I’ve used, there is a steel rod running thru the center of the ball from top to bottom.  The chain to the anchor attaches to a ring at the bottom.  The mooring line to the boat attaches to a ring on the top of the ball.  The steel rod connects everything together.  With the mooring line attached to the top of the ball, it doesn’t need a float.  It is just hanging off the top of the ball waiting to be snagged with a boat hook.  If the mooring line is attached to the bottom of the mooring ball, you either need to use floating line like polypropylene or a float.  Otherwise, the line will be underwater and difficult to snag.  Polypropylene line is not as strong as nylon and less UV resistant.  How was your mooring setup?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978. Sanford MI

Sent from my iPhone