[Rhodes22-list] Pressuring washing a boat

Ed McNamara edmc18 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 11:35:27 EDT 2024

I learned a new word recently. When I had my boat hull blisters repaired
and new bottom paint applied I was asked if I wanted to use Ablative paint.
When it was explained that the paint sheds layers in order to stay clean I
said "Hell no"! You see, that explained why twice a year, when I brought my
boat to the driveway for maintenance and cleaning, which included pressure
washing the hull, including the bottom paint, I had streams of blue paint
washing down the driveway. It probably also went a long way in explaining
why the bottom blistered! I now have a good strong bottom paint that will
not shed. As a lake sailor there is probably much less need for Ablative
paint anyway. My advice then is if you do have Ablative Bottom paint you
might want to avoid pressure washing that portion of your hull.

Eddie Mac
s/v Scholar (1988/2001)