[Rhodes22-list] Trailer bunk replacement

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Jun 29 01:54:22 EDT 2024

Graham,

I used PT 2x6’s when I redid my trailer’s bunks back in 1990.  They are still serviceable after about 34 years, although the carpeting is getting pretty worn.  I recommend you use a spade bit to counterbore the surface of the bunks so that the heads of the carriage bolts will be below the surface.  This will prevent the heads from scratching or denting the hull.  Use galvanized carriage bolts.  Use SS or monel staples to attach the carpeting.  C steel staples will leave rust stains on your boat and trailer.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978. Sanford, MI

Sent from my iPhone