[Rhodes22-list] New outboard

tedlesiecki at gmail.com tedlesiecki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 22:49:41 EST 2024

I went electric and love it (I picked spirit but there are others). Also got the remote throttle so you can be standing at helm facing forward while docking. The dealer used to own a Rhodes so was very familiar with the boat. Best part is even under motor it’s silent so it always feels like sailing. Went from 9.8 gas to 3hp electric. The torque the 3hp puts out is probably similar to 9.8 at higher rpm so you get a lot of thrust at low throttle input. No question the 9.8 will push boat at max hull speed (with lots of noise and vibration) while 3hp electric is maybe like 4 knots. Back it down to 3.5 knots and you get 30% more range out of battery. Dealer said if you’re really concerned with range just buy another removable battery. Vs picking 1 bigger, less mobile, remote wired battery but depends on what you need.

Ted

Sent from my iPhone