[Rhodes22-list] New outboard

Michael Corley michael.4591 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 15:16:10 EDT 2024

Maybe I am crazy, but I just spent $552 repairing my 1998, 26 yr old 9.9
two cycle Mercury.  Annual service, new thermostat, and rebuild
carburetor.  Runs like a champ except when it does not run, which happened
once last year when the electrical box went out on me.  Was going to buy a
new four cycle Merc, but my mechanic talked me out of it.  Said cylinders
are in excellent shape as is the pressure.  20 yrs of actual use and it has
maybe 500 total hours.  My experience with two cycle motors is they do run
forever if maintained.  I love the throttle on the handle and not having to
run any extra controls into the cockpit as well as the motor-rudder linkage
Stan developed.  If I sailed on an inland lake, I'd go electric, but with
tidal currents and cruising, I need the power and range.

Mike
s/v Ranger
99 Rhodes
Hampton Roads, VA