[Rhodes22-list] The List Seems to be Fading Away

Tom Hyatt thyatt at mica.edu
Sun Mar 10 17:32:09 EDT 2024

The R22 Facebook account sees sporadic use. Kind of like the email list. In
February, there were no posts at all. In January there were 4
original posts with a number of comments. In December there were 3 posts
with follow-up comments. In November 1 post with comments.

As a new Rhodes 22 owner, I can't speak on why there are fewer posts. My
observation however is that the R22 community is an aging one. Looking at
where the most action is on Youtube, it is not with daysailing or
trailer-sailers but with young couples giving up their day-to-day lives to
travel around the world on blue-water cruisers. So perhaps there are not as
many new sailors drawn to the kind of weekend sailing on small boats that
we all do.

The majority of R22 owners that I have met so far tilt more toward the
retired crowd or toward people who once were owners and now have either
moved to power boats or larger sailing vessels or have given up sailing
altogether. Maybe those that have stayed with their R22s, as I think
someone indicated already, have solved most of their issues and questions
and don't have as much need for the community as they once did.

Not having GB as an active and vital business certainly has dampened the
enthusiasm that would be generated toward new owners if Stan and the
business were as active as they were 25 years ago.

Just an observation from a new owner.

Tom Hyatt
S/V Eliza Jane 1978
Baltimore, MD