[Rhodes22-list] Hatch to Cabin

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Mar 17 12:19:08 EDT 2024

Hi Cary,

My 1978 Rhodes 22 has a luan teak plywood companionway hatch cover.  The hinge is a SS piano hinge.  I have to take the hatch cover apart, sand it down, and revarnish every couple of years.  But, given that minimal maintenance, it's still the original hatch cover.  Of course, it doesn't allow any light into the cabin when closed; but, it also doesn't get hot in direct sunshine.  Freshly varnished, I think it looks good, very traditional.  Even when UV stabilized, polycarbonate will take UV damage from the sun.  Polycarbonate is a crystaline polymer, which means it inherantly tends to fail by brittle fracture, even when new.  UV exposure only renders it more brittle.  Is your hinge thru bolted or are the screws threaded into the Lexan?  If it is threaded; then, you  could make it somewhat more resistant to cracking by drilling out the threads.  Then, thru bolt it using the biggest OD fender washers that will fit.  Thru bolting with fender washers to spread the load will make the hinge assembly much less likely to crack.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978  Sanford, MI