[Rhodes22-list] What's the centerboard made of?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu May 23 09:43:23 EDT 2024

Hi Tom,

The 1st question you need to answer is:  Is my centerboard/well interference issue being caused by swelling in the centerboard, in the well, or perhaps both?  Fortunately, on our "old" boats, the centerboard and the rudder blade are the exact same hydrofoil.  So, measure the maximum thickness of your rudder blade vs your centerboard.  If they are close,  say +/- 1/4" and inspection of the centerboard reveals no water dripping out or other obvious damage; then, you can be pretty sure the interference is caused by swelling in the centerboard well.  With the centerboard out, if you inspect the ID of the centerboard well, you will very likely find cracking around the perimeter.  The FRP material can't swell that much without cracking.

About 20 years ago, I helped another "old Rhodes 22" owner, Lou Rosenburg,  repair a centerboard well swelling problem.  The initial symptoms were an interference fit between the centerboard and well.  We coauthored a white paper on our repair.  Peter Nyburg recently sent you a link to this white paper from the archives.  I recommend you read the white paper.  I was a lot younger then; but even then, that sort of repair would have been more than I was willing to put into an old boat.  I've always admired Lou for seeing it thru to completion.  I hope your issue is swelling in the centerboard and not the well.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978  Sanford, MI