[Rhodes22-list] Gas Boot

Bill Berner rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:45:57 -0400

The first project I ever did on my boat was a gas line boot.  I had many
of the same concerns, and it took a major leap of faith to cut that hole
in the transom.

Anyway, I've seen them mounted facing both in and out.

I mounted mine facing into the lazarette.  Never had any water come
through in 4 seasons.

I bedded the boot with 4200 and through bolted it with whatever the
appropriate size falt head bolts were.

Used lock washers on the inside so that I wouldn't have to worry about
the nuts backing off from vibration.

It's been swell.  I even cut the hole on a rough day with the boat
bobbing on its mooring. :)

Good luck.  The first cut is not the deepest, as Rod Stewart said, just
the hardest one to make.

BB

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway