[Rhodes22-list] Sailing on a Catalina 22

Roland.John rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:19:35 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2446F.29B74D14

Mark,
Thanks for sharing this insight.  As one who hasn't yet committed to the =
Rhodes I find this kind of comparison extremely valuable.  I'd like to =
hear from others with similar experiences on this or other Rhodes =
competitors. =20
John Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Kaynor [mailto:mark@kaynor.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 10:58 AM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Sailing on a Catalina 22

Julie and crewed on a friend's Catalina 22 yesterday evening. We got to =
fly a symmetrical and an asymmetrical spinnaker for the first time with =
his help - it was pretty cool and we're going to try Raven's =
asymmetrical on our own this weekend, weather permitting.=20
=20
During our sail I was struck by several things and was glad for the =
opportunity to revisit some of reasons we chose to buy our Rhodes22 (and =
give ourselves a pat on the back for our decision).=20
=20
- The difference that made the largest impression on me was that the =
cockpit seemed crowded with a crew of three. We've really been spoiled =
rotten <g>.=20
=20
- A couple of times our friend had to search for things in the torpedo =
tubes (a.k.a. quarter berths) under the cockpit seats. I really do much =
prefer the open space under Raven's cockpit seats for legroom and easy =
stowage.
=20
- Julie got conked by the boom (she's okay - just a bit of a lump) - =
it's just enough lower than Raven's that we had to pay attention to it.
=20
- Boy, there were a lot of lines on that boat. Spinnaker sheets, =
halyards, down-hauls, coils, loops, tangles, etc. all in that small =
cockpit. Sometimes I think I'd like to have more toys to play with, but =
then I get reminded about how simple, pleasant, and relaxing it is to =
sail Raven.=20
=20
- I was at the helm most of the evening and was struck by how stiff it =
was - much more resistance that on Raven, especially as the wind kicked =
up. I found myself looking down to see if the rudder had kicked up a =
bit. I realize this probably has more to do with the way everything on =
the boat is tuned, but I didn't much care for the idea of sailing that =
boat for any extended period of time.
=20
- A gust hit us while we had the asymmetric up and Julie was a bit late =
releasing the sheet - we shipped a little water over the gunwale. =
Perhaps it was inexperience on this boat, perhaps it's personal taste, =
perhaps it was the feel of the tiller, but I feel much more solid, safe, =
and in control when Raven buries a gunwale.=20
=20
Mark Kaynor

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2446F.29B74D14

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D620271615-15082002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Mark,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D620271615-15082002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Thanks=20
for sharing this insight.&nbsp; As one who hasn't yet committed to the =
Rhodes I=20
find this kind of comparison extremely valuable.&nbsp; I'd like to hear =
from=20
others with similar experiences on this or other Rhodes =
competitors.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D620271615-15082002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>John=20
Roland</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Mark Kaynor=20
  [mailto:mark@kaynor.org]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 15, 2002 =
10:58=20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> =
[Rhodes22-list]=20
  Sailing on a Catalina 22<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Julie and crewed on a friend's =
Catalina 22=20
  yesterday evening. We got to fly a symmetrical and an asymmetrical =
spinnaker=20
  for the first time with his help - it was pretty cool and we're going =
to try=20
  Raven's asymmetrical on our own this weekend, weather permitting.=20
</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>During our sail&nbsp;I was struck by =
several=20
  things and was glad for the opportunity to revisit&nbsp;some =
of&nbsp;reasons=20
  we chose&nbsp;to buy&nbsp;our Rhodes22 (and give ourselves a pat on =
the back=20
  for our decision). </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- The difference that made the =
largest impression=20
  on me was that the cockpit seemed crowded with a crew of three. We've =
really=20
  been spoiled rotten &lt;g&gt;. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- A couple of times&nbsp;our =
friend&nbsp;had to=20
  search for things in the torpedo tubes (a.k.a. quarter berths) under =
the=20
  cockpit seats. I really do much prefer the open space under Raven's =
cockpit=20
  seats for legroom and easy stowage.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Julie got conked by the boom (she's =
okay - just=20
  a bit of a lump) - it's just enough lower than Raven's that&nbsp;we =
had to pay=20
  attention to it.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Boy,&nbsp;there were a lot of lines =
on that=20
  boat. Spinnaker sheets, halyards, down-hauls, coils, loops, tangles, =
etc. all=20
  in that small cockpit.&nbsp;Sometimes I think I'd like&nbsp;to have =
more toys=20
  to play with, but then I get reminded about how simple, pleasant, and =
relaxing=20
  it is to sail Raven. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- I was at the helm most of the =
evening and was=20
  struck by how stiff it was - much more resistance that on Raven, =
especially as=20
  the wind kicked up. I found myself&nbsp;looking down to see if the =
rudder had=20
  kicked up a bit. I realize this probably has more to do with the way=20
  everything on the boat is tuned, but I didn't much care for the idea =
of=20
  sailing that boat for any extended period of time.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- A gust hit us while we had the =
asymmetric up=20
  and Julie was a bit late releasing the sheet - we shipped a little =
water over=20
  the gunwale. Perhaps it was inexperience on this boat, perhaps it's =
personal=20
  taste,&nbsp;perhaps it was the feel of the tiller, but I feel much =
more solid,=20
  safe, and in control when Raven buries a gunwale. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark =
Kaynor</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2446F.29B74D14--