[Rhodes22-list] Mast Bend With A Masthead Rig & Double Lower Shrouds

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:21:11 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C24947.E899BB90

Richard,

It is precisely because the Rhodes 22 masthead rig has double lower =
sidestays that it can exploit mast bend.  Please reread my rig tuning =
procedure.  Note that, with a standard rig, I specified about 200 lbs =
differential tension between the fore & aft lower sidestays.  With the =
forward lower sidestays about 200 lbs tighter than the aft lower =
sidestays, the mast is constrained from rotating around the mast =
tabernacle at the lower sidestay attachment points just below the =
spreaders.  Now, when backstay tension is applied, the mast must bend, =
primarily from the spreaders upwards to the masthead.  Actually, the =
curvature extends below the spreaders as well because it is physically =
impossible for there to be such an abrupt discontinuity in the strain =
curve of the continuous mast extrusion.  So, the bend curve tends to =
spread itself out along the entire length of the spar with the =
centerline of the mast actually moving slightly forward to relax out =
some of the differential tension in the lower forward sidestays in the =
region around the spreaders.  This curvature is easy to see by holding a =
halyard up against the aft edge of the mast while varying the backstay =
tension.  Rather than argue with me, I challenge you to go out on your =
boat, set up the rig as per my procedure, & see for yourself.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C24947.E899BB90

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Richard,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It is precisely&nbsp;because the Rhodes =
22 masthead=20
rig has double lower sidestays that it can exploit mast bend.&nbsp; =
Please=20
reread my rig tuning procedure.&nbsp; Note that, with a standard rig, I=20
specified about 200 lbs differential tension between the fore &amp; aft =
lower=20
sidestays.&nbsp; With the forward lower sidestays about 200 lbs tighter =
than the=20
aft lower sidestays, the mast is constrained from rotating around the =
mast=20
tabernacle&nbsp;at the lower sidestay attachment points just below the=20
spreaders.&nbsp; Now, when backstay tension is applied, the mast must =
bend,=20
primarily from the spreaders upwards to the masthead.&nbsp; Actually, =
the=20
curvature extends below the spreaders as well&nbsp;because&nbsp;it is =
physically=20
impossible for there&nbsp;to be such&nbsp;an abrupt discontinuity in the =
strain=20
curve of the continuous mast extrusion.&nbsp; So,&nbsp;the bend =
curve&nbsp;tends=20
to&nbsp;spread itself out along the entire length of the spar with the=20
centerline of the mast actually moving slightly forward to relax =
out&nbsp;some=20
of the differential tension in the lower forward sidestays in the region =
around=20
the spreaders.&nbsp; This curvature is easy to see by holding a halyard =
up=20
against the aft edge of the mast while varying the backstay =
tension.&nbsp;=20
Rather than argue with me, I challenge you to go out on your boat, set =
up the=20
rig as per my&nbsp;procedure, &amp; see for yourself.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Roger Pihlaja</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>S/V Dynamic =
Equilibrium</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C24947.E899BB90--