[Rhodes22-list] Mast Bend With A Masthead Rig & Double Lower Shrouds

Christine Allison rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:10:01 -0400

<This curvature is easy to see by holding a halyard up against the aft edge
of the mast while varying the backstay tension.  Rather than argue with me,
I challenge you to go out on your boat, set up the rig as per my procedure,
& see for yourself.>

Can you obtain enough bend to free up the leech in a meaningful way?  If
not... what's the point?

It goes without saying that your mast , or any mast , can be bent if enough
tension is applied.  Keeping in mind that this is an older design, my point
here is that the Rhodes rig, is/was not intended for such an exercise.

I am not condemning or criticizing you at all.  You have much more
experience with the boat then I have and you have an engineering background
and obviously understand the force set ups in play.

Being traditionally oriented I feel that I bring a different (more seat of
the pants) point of view to boat tuning and sailing.  There are others here
who could care less about the whole thing.  The idea is to get out and have
fun...

Richard Smith