[Rhodes22-list] Mast Bending With A Mast Head Rig

Keith Bracknell rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 05:17:56 -0700 (PDT)

--0-662444726-1030018676=:11228

Roger,
I very much appreciate the judgement and meticulous detail with which you respond to R22 questions and issues. I confess though that I am not very well satisfied with the R22 documentation available from General Boats. Do you have, or do you know of, any R22 documentation that provides engineering drawings, rigging specs., and equipment lists. I am particularly interested in the sailboat hardware.
I've only had Aria ('88) for about a month. Lots of small rigging deficiencies and worn hardware is showing up. Some of the rigging I'm sure is not according to General Boats specs. I don't really care about that as much as ensuring the boat is seaworthy.
I'm also interested in your rigging for racing. I have crewed on a P30 for Wed. night and Saturday summer series in LI Sound, primarily in Fisher's Island Sound.  I might give a go at racing Aria in a couple of these races myself if I felt confident she was rigged and tuned properly. Priority is also a question mark.
I would appreciate your help, the more detail the better.
Keith
 Roger Pihlaja wrote:Richard, Mast bending is all all a matter of degree.  A masthead rigged boat like the Rhodes 22 can't get more than a couple of inches of curvature from mast bending.  A similar length mast with a 3/4 rig could be configured to bend 18 inches or more.  Never-the-less, if the mainsail is cut to take advantage of mast bend, even a couple of inches of bend can remove a lot of draft & significantly flatten the sail shape. With respect, you are COMPLETELY WRONG when you say that the masts on masthead rigged sailboats are only designed to be loaded & used in column with no bend.  That statement has been patently false for at least 30 years. Roger PihlajaS/V Dynamic Equilibrium

--0-662444726-1030018676=:11228

<P>Roger,
<P>I very much appreciate the judgement and meticulous detail with which you respond to R22 questions and issues. I confess though that I am not very well satisfied with the R22 documentation available from General Boats. Do you have, or do you know of, any R22 documentation that provides engineering drawings, rigging specs., and equipment lists. I am particularly interested in the sailboat hardware.
<P>I've only had Aria ('88) for about a month. Lots of small rigging deficiencies and worn hardware is showing up. Some of the rigging I'm sure is not according to General Boats specs. I don't really care about that as much as ensuring the boat is seaworthy.
<P>I'm also interested in your rigging for racing. I have crewed on a P30 for Wed. night and Saturday summer series in LI Sound, primarily in Fisher's Island Sound.&nbsp; I might give a go at racing Aria in a couple of these races myself if I felt confident she was rigged and tuned properly. Priority is also a question mark.
<P>I would appreciate your help, the more detail the better.
<P>Keith
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Roger Pihlaja <CEN09402@CENTURYTEL.NET></I></B>wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Richard,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mast bending is all&nbsp;all a matter of degree.&nbsp; A masthead rigged boat like the Rhodes 22 can't get more than a couple of inches of curvature from mast bending.&nbsp; A similar length mast with a 3/4 rig could be configured to bend 18 inches or more.&nbsp; Never-the-less,&nbsp;if&nbsp;the mainsail is cut to take advantage of mast bend, even&nbsp;a couple of inches of bend&nbsp;can remove a lot of draft &amp; significantly flatten the sail shape.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>With respect, you are COMPLETELY WRONG when you say that the masts on&nbsp;masthead rigged sailboats are only designed to be loaded &amp; used in column with no bend.&nbsp; That statement has been patently false for at least 30 years.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Roger Pihlaja</FONT></DIV>
--0-662444726-1030018676=:11228--