[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Documentation

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:33:48 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C24A0A.74B766A0

Keith,

I don't think the documentation you are asking about exists except in =
the mind of Stan Spitzer.  God bless Stan, if something happens to him =
or he decides to finally retire, we are all going to be in deep do-do!  =
GBI's policy of continuous improvement means the equipment & =
specifications of the Rhodes 22 have evolved greatly over the years.  =
So, a detailed spec from my 1976 Rhodes 22 would differ significantly =
from your 1988 model.  Fortunately, the Rhodes 22 is not a very =
complicated boat & common sense goes long way.  For the moment, Stan =
Spitzer & GBI are a tremendous resource, & I would utilize them as much =
as possible.

I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but poor documentation & =
"fuzzy" spare parts supply is the reality of the situation.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Keith Bracknell=20
  To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 8:17 AM
  Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Mast Bending With A Mast Head Rig

  Roger,=20

  I very much appreciate the judgement and meticulous detail with which =
you respond to R22 questions and issues. I confess though that I am not =
very well satisfied with the R22 documentation available from General =
Boats. Do you have, or do you know of, any R22 documentation that =
provides engineering drawings, rigging specs., and equipment lists. I am =
particularly interested in the sailboat hardware.=20

  I've only had Aria ('88) for about a month. Lots of small rigging =
deficiencies and worn hardware is showing up. Some of the rigging I'm =
sure is not according to General Boats specs. I don't really care about =
that as much as ensuring the boat is seaworthy.=20

  I'm also interested in your rigging for racing. I have crewed on a P30 =
for Wed. night and Saturday summer series in LI Sound, primarily in =
Fisher's Island Sound.  I might give a go at racing Aria in a couple of =
these races myself if I felt confident she was rigged and tuned =
properly. Priority is also a question mark.=20

  I would appreciate your help, the more detail the better.=20

  Keith=20

   Roger Pihlaja wrote:=20

    Richard,

    Mast bending is all all a matter of degree.  A masthead rigged boat =
like the Rhodes 22 can't get more than a couple of inches of curvature =
from mast bending.  A similar length mast with a 3/4 rig could be =
configured to bend 18 inches or more.  Never-the-less, if the mainsail =
is cut to take advantage of mast bend, even a couple of inches of bend =
can remove a lot of draft & significantly flatten the sail shape.

    With respect, you are COMPLETELY WRONG when you say that the masts =
on masthead rigged sailboats are only designed to be loaded & used in =
column with no bend.  That statement has been patently false for at =
least 30 years.

    Roger Pihlaja
    S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C24A0A.74B766A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't think the documentation you are =
asking=20
about exists except in the mind of Stan Spitzer.&nbsp; God bless Stan, =
if=20
something happens to him or he decides to finally retire, we are all =
going to be=20
in deep do-do!&nbsp; GBI's policy of continuous improvement means the =
equipment=20
&amp; specifications of the Rhodes 22 have evolved greatly&nbsp;over the =

years.&nbsp; So, a detailed spec from my 1976 Rhodes 22 would differ=20
significantly from your 1988 model.&nbsp; Fortunately, the Rhodes 22 is =
not a=20
very complicated boat &amp; common sense goes long way.&nbsp; For the =
moment,=20
Stan&nbsp;Spitzer &amp; GBI are a tremendous resource, &amp; I would =
utilize=20
them as much as possible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I realize this doesn't solve your =
problem,=20
but&nbsp;poor documentation &amp; "fuzzy" spare parts supply is the =
reality of=20
the&nbsp;situation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Roger Pihlaja</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>S/V Dynamic Equilibrium</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dbracknellk@yahoo.com =
href=3D"mailto:bracknellk@yahoo.com">Keith=20
  Bracknell</A> </DIV>
title=3Drhodes22-list@rhodes22.org=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org">rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org</A>=
 </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 22, 2002 =
8:17=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Rhodes22-list] =
Mast Bending=20
  With A Mast Head Rig</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Roger,=20
  <P>I very much appreciate the judgement and meticulous detail with =
which you=20
  respond to R22 questions and issues. I confess though that I am not =
very well=20
  satisfied with the R22 documentation available from General Boats. Do =
you=20
  have, or do you know of, any R22 documentation that provides =
engineering=20
  drawings, rigging specs., and equipment lists. I am particularly =
interested in=20
  the sailboat hardware.=20
  <P>I've only had Aria ('88) for about a month. Lots of small rigging=20
  deficiencies and worn hardware is showing up. Some of the rigging I'm =
sure is=20
  not according to General Boats specs. I don't really care about that =
as much=20
  as ensuring the boat is seaworthy.=20
  <P>I'm also interested in your rigging for racing. I have crewed on a =
P30 for=20
  Wed. night and Saturday summer series in LI Sound, primarily in =
Fisher's=20
  Island Sound.&nbsp; I might give a go at racing Aria in a couple of =
these=20
  races myself if I felt confident she was rigged and tuned properly. =
Priority=20
  is also a question mark.=20
  <P>I would appreciate your help, the more detail the better.=20
  <P>Keith=20
  <P>&nbsp;<B><I>Roger Pihlaja <CEN09402@CENTURYTEL.NET></I></B>wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px =
solid">
    <STYLE></STYLE>

    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Richard,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mast bending is all&nbsp;all a =
matter of=20
    degree.&nbsp; A masthead rigged boat like the Rhodes 22 can't get =
more than=20
    a couple of inches of curvature from mast bending.&nbsp; A similar =
length=20
    mast with a 3/4 rig could be configured to bend 18 inches or =
more.&nbsp;=20
    Never-the-less,&nbsp;if&nbsp;the mainsail is cut to take advantage =
of mast=20
    bend, even&nbsp;a couple of inches of bend&nbsp;can remove a lot of =
draft=20
    &amp; significantly flatten the sail shape.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>With respect, you are COMPLETELY =
WRONG when you=20
    say that the masts on&nbsp;masthead rigged sailboats are only =
designed to be=20
    loaded &amp; used in column with no bend.&nbsp; That statement has =
been=20
    patently false for at least 30 years.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Roger Pihlaja</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>S/V Dynamic =
Equilibrium</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=3D1>
  <B>Do You Yahoo!?</B><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://rd.yahoo.com/careers/mailsig/new/*http://www.hotjobs.com">=
HotJobs,=20
  a Yahoo! service</A> - Search Thousands of New =
Jobs</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C24A0A.74B766A0--