[Rhodes22-list] Mast Bending & PHRF Rating

Richard F Sheehan rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:24:14 -0400

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant how many parts in the tackle?

grommet in sail
Kuhn ring in sail
downhaul line itself ($28)
turning block at tabernacle
turning block at deck organizer
rope clutch

mechanical advantage = 1

The primary advantage of the downhaul, apart from assisting the sail
down, is to resist the halyard when the sail is down and the halyard is
tightened to prevent its flopping around and wrapping itself around the
spreaders.  This downhaul is NOT used for shaping the sail, and the Kuhn
ring makes it behave while the sail is raised and drawing.

Dick

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:15:26 -0400 "Christine Allison" <sailnut@asan.com>
writes:
> Message<Whats the purchase on the down haul?
>
> $28.00 at West Marine.>
>
> Sorry for the confusion.  I meant how many parts in the tackle?
>
> Richard Smith

> our
> FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
> http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It!