[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Mary Lou Troy rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:17:45 -0400

If you are fighting to keep the boat from falling off the wind you have lee
helm not weather helm.

With the 175 jib, lee helm can be a real issue. It certainly is on
Fretless. In light to moderate winds when we have the full job and main out
we have lee helm that we can only reduce by furling the jib somewhat. In
very light air, lee helm isn't an issue and we're glad for the 175. We have
tightened the back stay as much as we can with the backstay adjuster. Our
next step is shorten the backstays one more notch so that we have a bit
more leverage with the adjuster.  We are also going to try setting the
rudder so that it not quite all the way forward. The next step (next
season) will be to let the jib stay out a notch. Stan suggested moving the
knot on the centerboard line to let the board drop a bit further. That
helped a bit.

Any other ideas? We would be happy to hear other suggestions.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA