[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Ware, Joseph W. rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:22:12 -0400

Bingo, I think your description of the English cleat is the one.  Stan
upgraded it when the boat was refurbished.  It appears to be hinged at the
bottom, and not connected at the top.  I only looked at it quickly last time
I was out.  The top screw is in place, and is connected to a round flat
piece with two little ears.  At first glance it looked like it broke out.
Now that I hear you, I'll take a hard look.

Thanks,

Joe
S/V Whisper

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Meltzer [mailto:mjm@michaelmeltzer.com]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 4:21 PM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

A up rudder will cause it.

they are two types of cleats used

1) a screew with a plate and wing nut, they always slip :-)
2)a english cleat, it look like a jam cleat in a platic base, it hinges out
if the line is pulled to hard releasing the line,
I.e. as the rudder kicking up, it resets by pushing it back untill it
locks(click) down. in the open postion has a
screew addjestment to control the amount or force for it to react to.

MJM

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.