[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:12:42 -0400

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Again, the newbie has questions.&nbsp; Two questions arose after reading your letter.</P>
<P>1.&nbsp;&nbsp; My boat is an older model and the goose neck is free floating....and has no "position".&nbsp; What method of positioning the boom do newer boats have?</P>
<P>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This question is more important because I was going to be making a new rudder.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The previous owner had made the one&nbsp;on there now.&nbsp;&nbsp; The rudder actually pivots down so far that it goes slightly past vertical and starts to angle foreward.&nbsp; Is this by design?<BR><BR>Todd<BR><BR>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "David Walker" <DAVID.WALKER5@ATTBI.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
<DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:16:41 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Joe, the weather helm you are experiencing is most likely due to the
<DIV></DIV>heeling. When the hull heels its geomtry relative to the water changes
<DIV></DIV>inducing whether helm. The is acutally a good thing, as when the rig gets
<DIV></DIV>overpowered, the boat will autmatically tend to head up and luff the sails.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>On my boat with moderate wind I can sail the 175 all the way out (full main
<DIV></DIV>of course) and if I can keep her from heeling too much she is well balanced.
<DIV></DIV>The amount of wind you can do this in will depend on your "movable
<DIV></DIV>balllast". As you reef the jib, you should match with reelfing the main.
<DIV></DIV>Many on the list will reccomend lowering the boom to the lower position as a
<DIV></DIV>first reef. This will lower the COE of the main, but as the jib is 2x the
<DIV></DIV>size of the main, its benefit is small.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Obvious, but also check to make sure the rudder is all the way down (leading
<DIV></DIV>edge actually ahead of the pivot line).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Dave Walker
<DIV></DIV>SV Windswept
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: "Ware, Joseph W." <JOSEPH_WARE@MERCK.COM>
<DIV></DIV>To: "List Rhodes (E-mail)" <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 3:55 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I have an IMF and 175 Genny. Under about 100% Genny the helm is balanced.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; When the Genny is pulled all the way out, and healing, there is a good
<DIV></DIV>&gt; amount of weather helm. I have to push the tiller hard to keep her going
<DIV></DIV>&gt; straight. Is normal, or is my rig set up wrong?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Joe
<DIV></DIV>&gt; S/V Whisper
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>----
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
<DIV></DIV>information of Merck &amp; Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that
<DIV></DIV>may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and
<DIV></DIV>is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this
<DIV></DIV>message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
<DIV></DIV>message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete
<DIV></DIV>it.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>============================================================================
<DIV></DIV>==
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; _______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>&gt; FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org