[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:36:59 -0400

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>MM,</P></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just so we are on the same page...... where my gooseneck connects the boom to the mast, it slides down into the groove in the mast where the sails luff bolt rope goes.&nbsp; The boom is not secured&nbsp; in the groove and slides up and down freely limited only at the bottom by a large cotter pin that I think is for the pop-top.&nbsp; I assume (don't say it!)&nbsp; (Roger) that I will have to use a boom downhaul line when I sail,&nbsp; but someone mentioned putting their boom down to the lowest setting and I was confused. <BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Second,&nbsp; I have a complete rudder assembly to use the head as a template.&nbsp;&nbsp; It matches in shape and style with two other similar vintage&nbsp; RC 22s&nbsp; I have examined, but was obviously remade by an individual that was not very good with tools...and never varnished or epoxy coated.&nbsp; Using the hinge plane of the pintles and parallel forward face of the rudder head as a reference of vertical, the blade pivots approximately 7-10 degrees forward of this vertical.&nbsp;&nbsp; This is apparently because of the lousy fabrication job.&nbsp; After reading one of Roger's posts, I see how critical this travel is. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Straight answer??&nbsp;&nbsp; Yesterday I couldn't spell sailor,&nbsp;today I are one.&nbsp; LOL</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;Semi-seriously,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am a licensed Elevator mechanic.&nbsp; If it wasn't for that incident with marijuana, the Mayor's daughter, and the team mascot...I would have finished college and got a REAL job.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am a certified auto mechanic, I have repaired just about anything that can be repaired, (except electronics). &nbsp; Appliances, planes trains and automobiles, furniture (I am a decent woodworker too). I am an experienced and licensed aircraft Airframe and Powerplant mechanic.&nbsp; I have done some work with epoxy and composites.&nbsp; Basically&nbsp; if it floats or flies, drives, fries, washes&nbsp;or dries.....I bet I can fix it!!&nbsp; Or f**k it up trying to get it perfect LOL&nbsp; Am I hired?&nbsp;&nbsp; LOL<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer" <MJM@MICHAELMELTZER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:56:59 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>1)Do you mean that the block that in the sail track is sliding up and down with no pin to stop it travel?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>2) Stright amswer please, how good are your boat building skill, replacing a rudder without the old one for a templet is at the adavanved to expert level, i.e call stan for new one or see if he can make a deal on a used one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 9:12 AM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>David, or Anyone,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Again, the newbie has questions. Two questions arose after reading your letter.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>1. My boat is an older model and the goose neck is free floating....and has no "position". What method of positioning the boom do newer boats have?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>2. This question is more important because I was going to be making a new rudder. The previous owner had made the one on there now. The rudder actually pivots down so far that it goes slightly past vertical and starts to angle foreward. Is this by design?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Todd
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "David Walker"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:16:41 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Joe, the weather helm you are experiencing is most likely due to the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>heeling. When the hull heels its geomtry relative to the water changes
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>inducing whether helm. The is acutally a good thing, as when the rig gets
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>overpowered, the boat will autmatically tend to head up and luff the sails.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>On my boat with moderate wind I can sail the 175 all the way out (full main
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>of course) and if I can keep her from heeling too much she is well balanced.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The amount of wind you can do this in will depend on your "movable
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>balllast". As you reef the jib, you should match with reelfing the main.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Many on the list will reccomend lowering the boom to the lower position as a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>first reef. This will lower the COE of the main, but as the jib is 2x the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>size of the main, its benefit is small.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Obvious, but also check to make sure the rudder is all the way down (leading
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>edge actually ahead of the pivot line).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Dave Walker
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>SV Windswept
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Ware, Joseph W."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: "List Rhodes (E-mail)"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 3:55 PM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I have an IMF and 175 Genny. Under about 100% Genny the helm is balanced.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; When the Genny is pulled all the way out, and healing, there is a good
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; amount of weather helm. I have to push the tiller hard to keep her going
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; straight. Is normal, or is my rig set up wrong?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Joe
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; S/V Whisper
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>information of Merck &amp; Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>============================================================================
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>==
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; _______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________ Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>