[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:24:08 -0500

--B_3113310248_47541733

Toad.  Define REAL job.  Does it really require a kollij ejakashun?
Slim Chance and the Gamblers

On 8/27/02 2:36 PM, "Toad the Wet Sprocket" <sprocket80@hotmail.com> wrote:

> MM,
>
>      Yes.   Just so we are on the same page...... where my gooseneck connects
> the boom to the mast, it slides down into the groove in the mast where the
> sails luff bolt rope goes.  The boom is not secured  in the groove and slides
> up and down freely limited only at the bottom by a large cotter pin that I
> think is for the pop-top.  I assume (don't say it!)  (Roger) that I will have
> to use a boom downhaul line when I sail,  but someone mentioned putting their
> boom down to the lowest setting and I was confused.
>
>      Second,  I have a complete rudder assembly to use the head as a template.
> It matches in shape and style with two other similar vintage  RC 22s  I have
> examined, but was obviously remade by an individual that was not very good
> with tools...and never varnished or epoxy coated.  Using the hinge plane of
> the pintles and parallel forward face of the rudder head as a reference of
> vertical, the blade pivots approximately 7-10 degrees forward of this
> vertical.   This is apparently because of the lousy fabrication job.  After
> reading one of Roger's posts, I see how critical this travel is.
>
> Straight answer??   Yesterday I couldn't spell sailor, today I are one.  LOL
>

>   Semi-seriously,    I am a licensed Elevator mechanic.  If it wasn't for that
> incident with marijuana, the Mayor's daughter, and the team mascot...I would
> have finished college and got a REAL job.  I am a certified auto mechanic, I
> have repaired just about anything that can be repaired, (except electronics).
> Appliances, planes trains and automobiles, furniture (I am a decent woodworker
> too). I am an experienced and licensed aircraft Airframe and Powerplant
> mechanic.  I have done some work with epoxy and composites.  Basically  if it
> floats or flies, drives, fries, washes or dries.....I bet I can fix it!!  Or
> f**k it up trying to get it perfect LOL  Am I hired?   LOL
>

> Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
>
> From: "Michael Meltzer"
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:56:59 -0400
> 1)Do you mean that the block that in the sail track is sliding up and down
> with no pin to stop it travel?
> 2) Stright amswer please, how good are your boat building skill, replacing a
> rudder without the old one for a templet is at the adavanved to expert level,
> i.e call stan for new one or see if he can make a deal on a used one.
> MJM

--B_3113310248_47541733

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Toad. &nbsp;Define REAL job. &nbsp;Does it really requ=
ire a kollij ejakashun?<BR>
Slim Chance and the Gamblers<BR>
<BR>
On 8/27/02 2:36 PM, &quot;Toad the Wet Sprocket&quot; &lt;sprocket80@hotmai=
l.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<BR>
MM,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes. &nbsp;&nbsp;Just so we are on the same p=
age...... where my gooseneck connects the boom to the mast, it slides down i=
nto the groove in the mast where the sails luff bolt rope goes. &nbsp;The bo=
om is not secured &nbsp;in the groove and slides up and down freely limited =
only at the bottom by a large cotter pin that I think is for the pop-top. &n=
bsp;I assume (don't say it!) &nbsp;(Roger) that I will have to use a boom do=
wnhaul line when I sail, &nbsp;but someone mentioned putting their boom down=
 to the lowest setting and I was confused. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Second, &nbsp;I have a complete rudder assemb=
ly to use the head as a template. &nbsp;&nbsp;It matches in shape and style =
with two other similar vintage &nbsp;RC 22s &nbsp;I have examined, but was o=
bviously remade by an individual that was not very good with tools...and nev=
er varnished or epoxy coated. &nbsp;Using the hinge plane of the pintles and=
 parallel forward face of the rudder head as a reference of vertical, the bl=
ade pivots approximately 7-10 degrees forward of this vertical. &nbsp;&nbsp;=
This is apparently because of the lousy fabrication job. &nbsp;After reading=
 one of Roger's posts, I see how critical this travel is. <BR>
<BR>
Straight answer?? &nbsp;&nbsp;Yesterday I couldn't spell sailor, today I ar=
e one. &nbsp;LOL<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Semi-seriously, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I am a licensed Elevator mech=
anic. &nbsp;If it wasn't for that incident with marijuana, the Mayor's daugh=
ter, and the team mascot...I would have finished college and got a REAL job.=
 &nbsp;I am a certified auto mechanic, I have repaired just about anything t=
hat can be repaired, (except electronics). &nbsp;&nbsp;Appliances, planes tr=
ains and automobiles, furniture (I am a decent woodworker too). I am an expe=
rienced and licensed aircraft Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. &nbsp;I have=
 done some work with epoxy and composites. &nbsp;Basically &nbsp;if it float=
s or flies, drives, fries, washes or dries.....I bet I can fix it!! &nbsp;Or=
 f**k it up trying to get it perfect LOL &nbsp;Am I hired? &nbsp;&nbsp;LOL<B=

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
1)Do you mean that the block that in the sail track is sliding up and down =
with no pin to stop it travel? <BR>
2) Stright amswer please, how good are your boat building skill, replacing =
a rudder without the old one for a templet is at the adavanved to expert lev=
el, i.e call stan for new one or see if he can make a deal on a used one. <B=

MJM <BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>
Again, the newbie has questions. Two questions arose after reading your let=
ter. <BR>
1. My boat is an older model and the goose neck is free floating....and has=
 no &quot;position&quot;. What method of positioning the boom do newer boats=
 have? <BR>
2. This question is more important because I was going to be making a new r=
udder. The previous owner had made the one on there now. The rudder actually=
 pivots down so far that it goes slightly past vertical and starts to angle =
foreward. Is this by design? <BR>
Todd <BR>
Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com <BR>
Joe, the weather helm you are experiencing is most likely due to the <BR>
heeling. When the hull heels its geomtry relative to the water changes <BR>
inducing whether helm. The is acutally a good thing, as when the rig gets <=

overpowered, the boat will autmatically tend to head up and luff the sails.=
 <BR>
On my boat with moderate wind I can sail the 175 all the way out (full main=
 <BR>
of course) and if I can keep her from heeling too much she is well balanced=
. <BR>
The amount of wind you can do this in will depend on your &quot;movable <BR=

balllast&quot;. As you reef the jib, you should match with reelfing the mai=
n. <BR>
Many on the list will reccomend lowering the boom to the lower position as =
a <BR>
first reef. This will lower the COE of the main, but as the jib is 2x the <=

size of the main, its benefit is small. <BR>
Obvious, but also check to make sure the rudder is all the way down (leadin=
g <BR>
edge actually ahead of the pivot line). <BR>
Dave Walker <BR>
SV Windswept <BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>