[Rhodes22-list] Tongue Weight

Rik Sandberg sanderico@earthlink.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:11:28 -0600

Todd,

The issue with loading an R 22 isn't really that it can't be gotten far
enough ahead on the trailer. It can be set plenty far ahead.....that is, if
you could set it wherever you wanted to. Like if you used a travelift to
set your boat on the trailer. I suspect that you could actually get the
boat too far ahead in that case.

The tongue weight (or lack of it) problem comes from when you float the
boat onto the trailer while the trailer sits on the ramp at a fairly large
downward angle. You can run the boat ahead, all the way to the fully
retracted bow stop and winch her tight there. Now remember, your trailer is
angled down while your boat is sitting pretty much water level. Your bow
eye is also lower in relation to the winch than it will be when you have
pulled up the ramp and are on level ground, probably 6 or 8 inches below
the bottom of the winch. As you begin to pull your boat and trailer from
the water, the first part of the trailer to lift the hull will be the very
front of the trailer bunks. None of the rest of the bunks are even close to
the hull. The further you pull the boat ahead the further the boat will
rock back. When the boat finally settles onto the back of the bunks she
will have rocked back away from the bow stop a foot or better and the bow
eye will be about level with the top of the winch. This is where the tongue
weight problems come from. Somehow you need to be able to keep the boat up
closer to the bow stop. It is very difficult to get an R 22 to slide ahead
on the bunks once you have pulled her out of the water, she's just too heavy.

I have done a couple of things that have helped this situation a little
bit. I have an adjustable height hitch head that I lower to the lowest
setting when I launch/retrieve. This is about 8 inches lower than my normal
towing height. I also changed the axle, springs and replaced the 15 inch
tires and wheels with 16 inch tires and wheels, making the back of the
trailer a few inches higher. Both of these things help to lessen the
difference in the angle between the boat and the trailer while on the ramp.
I believe that this has allowed me to keep the boat (doesn't have as far to
rock back) about 6 inches further ahead than I could before I did these
things. Oh, and a 2000 lb, two speed winch doesn't hurt either. I can now
raise the bow a couple more inches, once it comes up against the bow stop.

This might not make a lot of sense to you yet, but when you load your boat
on a ramp the first time you'll see what I mean.

Not sure but I think there might be something in the FAQ about this too.

Rik