[Rhodes22-list] Tongue Weight

General Boats wwrhodes@rhodes22.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:20:02 -0500

I don't get no respect - except from Ed.  ( I know it is "any" and not "no"
- just getting into character.)

The ballast location, and amount, has varied over the years.

The newer trailers have the axles further aft.

As I may have mentioned, at low water ramps I have gone to plastic sliders
on the bunks and a powerhouse winch.
I make no attempt to get the boat far enough forward for proper tongue
weight since water level is too low for getting the trailer back far
enough.  On horizontal ground I them winch the boat the rest of the way.

With proper tongue weight, and the 15" wheel Rhodes' trailers, the ride is
great and you can quickly forget you are even towing anything - until you
look in the mirror and notice you are being followed by a tailgating boat.

The only time I knew I had a problem was when I looked out the side window
and noticed that the boat was passing me.

stan/gbi