[Rhodes22-list] Tongue Weight

Todd Tavares sprocket80@mail.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:17:45 -0500

   Stan,

       When designing the Triad trailers,  Is there an "ideal" tongue
   weight or range?   If so, is this just a straight weight amount or is
   it a function of combined trailer and boat weight?  I am just trying
   to find the tongue weight I should be shooting for. Or should I just
   keep it the same since the boat tows fine now.   I'll cross the
   recovery bridge when I get there.

   Todd

   ----- Original Message ----- From: General Boats Date: Sat, 14 Dec
   2002 08:20:02 -0500 To: kroposki@innova.net, The Rhodes 22 mail list
   Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Tongue Weight > I don't get no respect -
   except from Ed. ( I know it is "any" and not "no" > - just getting
   into character.) > > The ballast location, and amount, has varied over
   the years. > > The newer trailers have the axles further aft. > > As I
   may have mentioned, at low water ramps I have gone to plastic sliders
   > on the bunks and a powerhouse winch. > I make no attempt to get the
   boat far enough forward for proper tongue > weight since water level
   is too low for getting the trailer back far > enough. On horizontal
   ground I them winch the boat the rest of the way. > > With proper
   tongue weight, and the 15" wheel Rhodes' trailers, the ride is > great
   and you can quickly forget you are even towing anything - until you >
   look in the mirror and notice you are being followed by a tailgating
   boat. > > The only time I knew I had a problem was when I looked out
   the side window > and noticed that the boat was passing me. > >
   stan/gbi > > Kroposki wrote: > > > Todd: > > You need to get the
   technical people to respond to this question. > > All I can say is
   that Stan by education is an engineer. By avocation he > > has become
   a marine engineer. I am sure since the trailer is his > > design, that
   a great amount of thought went in placing the boats weight > > and
   ability to best support that weight on a trailer went into the > >
   design of the trailer(s). > > Ed K > > > >
   Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org, Help? www.rhodes22.org/list > >
   Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org, Help? www.rhodes22.org/list tan,

   Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at [1]Mail.com
   [2]Meet Singles