[Rhodes22-list] scam of the day

Michael Meltzer mjm@michaelmeltzer.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:34:26 -0500

na, I was wasting time finding out the penatrator is the Predator

      Lockheed Martin Predator Enters Low-Rate Initial Production

      (Source : Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control ; issued Jan. 28, 2002)

         ORLANDO, Fla. --- Lockheed Martin and the U.S. Marine Corps signed a $39 million contract Friday sending the
shoulder-fired, short-range Predator anti-armor missile into Low- Rate Initial Production (LRIP).

           Predator is a portable, inertially guided, point-and-shoot system designed to defeat advanced armor targets at ranges
from 17 to 600 meters. The complete system weighs less than 22 pounds and uses a fly-over, shootdown trajectory to attack tanks at
their most vulnerable point.

           With the signing, Predator became the first fire-and-forget short-range anti-tank missile in the international
marketplace to enter production.

           "This contract offers a mature baseline and enhances the opportunity for a joint program with the British government to
satisfy its Next Generation Lightweight Anti-armor Weapon (NLAW) requirement, thereby establishing joint interoperability," said Ron
Woodard, Lockheed Martin program director. Kestrel, the UK version of Predator, which includes a direct-fire option, is being
presented to the Ministry of Defence as a solution to the NLAW requirement. Lockheed Martin is teamed with MBDA as Joint Venture
partners to develop, manufacture and market the Kestrel system to the worldwide market.

           The contract awarded Friday is for setup and facilitation of production line first article testing, qualification of both
sub-assemblies and weapons, and delivery of 330 Predator short-range assault weapons. Predator final assembly as well as several
subsystems will be manufactured at the Lockheed Martin plant in Troy, Ala.

           Mike Woodson, U. S. Marine Corps Project Officer, said that Predator will, "satisfy a long-standing Marine Corps
requirement to provide the individual Marine warfighter with a lightweight, simple to operate antitank weapon which is accurate and
highly lethal against all main battle tanks and other armored vehicles existing in the world. Predator can be fired safely from
inside an enclosure, which is critical in close combat situations and urban warfare. The missile's inertial guidance system also
provides 'fire-and-forget' capability, which protects the Marine by minimizing his exposure to enemy counter-fire. It is truly a
world-class weapon which will enable the individual Marine to engage and destroy a main battle tank when the operational situation
requires him to do so.''

           Predator successfully completed flight tests at China Lake Naval Weapon Station, Calif., in September, paving the way for
LRIP. The tests verified the implementation of hardware and software changes to improve both reliability and robustness. These tests
bring the total number of flights to more than 200 during the weapon development.

           Employing more than 8,500 people, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control is headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with
additional base operations in Orlando, Fla., and manufacturing and assembly facilities in Sunnyvale, Calif., Chelmsford, Mass.,
Camden, Ark., Horizon City and Lufkin, Texas, Ocala, Fla., White Sands Missile Range, N.M., and Troy, Ala. The company is a business
unit of Lockheed Martin Systems Integration in Bethesda, Md.

           Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global enterprise principally engaged in the research, design,
development, manufacture and integration of advanced-technology systems, products and services. The Corporation's core businesses
are systems integration, space, and aeronautics and technology services.

           Background Information :

           --NLAW (Next Generation Light Anti-Armour Weapon System) NLAW is the UK Ministry of Defence requirement, which provides
for a precision short-range anti-Armour capability with high lethality and no field maintenance.

           --Kestrel is MBDA and Lockheed Martin's Joint Venture Company solution for NLAW. Kestrel will also be available for
export.

           --MBDA is Europe's leading guided weapons group, with an annual turnover of $2 billion and a forward order book of $13
billion. The group, which employs 10,000 people across 12 sites in Europe and the USA, is the result of the merger of the weapons
activities of BAE Systems, EADS and Finmeccanica.

           -ends-