[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

Ronald Lipton lipton@sprynet.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:13:57 -0600

I have had my used Rhodes 22 for a year now and am very happy with the boat.
I moved from a Catalina 22, seduced by the many design features of the
Rhodes
which make it easy to sail, particularly the inner mast furling.  The boat
is relatively
easy to trail and set up.  One nice feature is that the jib furler and boom
can be tied
to the mast so that the lines associated with the IMF are already in place
and the
sails are ready to be unfurled when the standing rigging is attached.  A
consequence
is that the mast assembly is rather heavy and you will need the mast raising
package.
I have a version circa 1989, which uses an aluminum A frame and a mainsheet
type
block which allows the mast to be raised by one person. I think my system is
at least
two generations behind the current design, but it works quite well. Boat
setup takes
about an hour.

Ron Lipton
> Sam Hunter wrote:
>
> > This message was previously posted on the Trailer Sailor website, where
several Rhodes owners were kind enough to offer meaningful replies.  I would
appreciate recommendations/suggestions from current Rhodes owners.
(Positive and negative both help.)  I have tried to extensively research the
Rhodes 22, but only recently discovered and signed up for this mail list.

> > Also, I have sent email to Stan from the Rhodes website, but have gotten
no response.  What it the best way for a potential customer to get his
attention?

> > BTW: I have to admit that I opened my email to Stan with the note that,
"I admit it, he was right!".  He and I had corresponded extensively 4-5
years ago, before I ended up buying the Seaward 25 we currently own.  He did
quickly refund my deposits and (politely) noted that he would "see me again
on the way back down" (in boat size).  Looks like he was right.

> > Anyway, to get to the point...
> >
> > We are seriously considering "simplifying" our lives, including sailing.
(Note that "simpler" does mean MORE sailing, not less.)

> > This would mean a smaller boat and tow vehicle (note that our starting
point is pretty large). More importantly, it would mean making things
easier, quicker, etc.

> > We currently have a Seaward 25, diesel, wheel, etc, etc.  I tow it (when
I do so) with a GMC 2500HD.

> > We live near a small inland lake, but love to sail the coastal areas. We
also love charters and exotic locations and all that, but do NOT think we
need a "blue water" boat of our own at this time. We plan, in a few years,
to build a house on and move to a small farm we have in south Georgia, about
an hour from the Florida coast.

> > Don't get me wrong...
> >
> > We LOVE "Dream Catcher", our Seaward 25. She is a wonderful boat that
has given us many happy days (and nights) of sailing, racing, gunkholing,
overnighting/weekending, etc. It is not so much that there is a "problem"
with this boat as that we have reached a point in our lives where we want
(and are able) to simplify things.

> > We have taken a hard look at the West Wight Potter 19 (Yes, we are
SERIOUS about simple!) It remains a possibility, but I suspect we like
certain comforts and the ability to entertain friends in the cockpit beyond
what the Potter provides.

> > Probably the best way to illustrate is with an example.
> >
> > We visit Pensacola at least 4-5 times per year. We have NEVER taken the
Seaward. (We have taken the boat to Mobile for the Dauphin Island Race, and
made a 6-day trip of it, which was a wonderful experience!)

> > However, our trips to Pensacola are almost always for 2-4 days, and that
is just too short (for us - I know others do this) too short a time to
consider trailering the Seaward. Most of my vacations are short, or are
longer and more exotic (we do like bareboat charters). I just can't picture
trailering the Seaward for a trip of less than 6-8 days. I want to have a
boat that is easy and simple and fast to set up / operate.  For example, I
LIKE the idea of the IMF for simplicity.  We wouldn't even need a sail
cover!

> > Our favorite boating use is gunkholing, especially travelling with a
couple other friendly boats, exploring, rafting, and generally enjoying the
sailing, the exploring, and just "being there". We also do a LOT of
daysailing. We spend a lot of nights and weekends on the water. We
participate frequently in club racing and enjoy that immensely. However, we
are NOT serious about it. We race for fun and to learn more about boat
handling. More speed would be preferable, but we are cruisers and we are NOT
willing to make the compromises that would give truly good racing
performance. Of course, we want it to be "simpler" to trail our boat to
other locations on a whim, or at least with only short notice.

> > We have friends who went up to a 27 footer for a while, then went back
"down" to a Potter 19. They love it! They recently finished their yard work
early one Saturday morning and decided it was a good day to go sailing on
the coast, 80 miles away. They packed up the boat and took off. Launched,
sailed, spent the night (with two kids) anchored off a barrier island, then
sailed back the next day and were home and settled in by 5:30 that
afternoon.

> > I envy that.
> >
> > I don't think Freida and I need to go quite that far in terms of simple
and easy, but we would like to take a BIG step in that direction.