[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

Christine Allison sailnut@asan.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:10:24 -0500

When it comes to the IMF rig please consider the following....

1:  Since there is little weight in the swing keel the Rhodes (like all such
designs  is relatively tender)
2:  The IMF set up features a very large Genoa.  The main basically provides
a slot effect.  Most of the power comes from the gennie. It works OK in
light air.
3:  Even with foam shaping in the headsail luff it's not possible to reef
the sail more then 30% and maintain much in the way of a reasonable shape.
Without a heavy crew to hike the boat you will be easily overpowered when it
blows.  There is also the heavy mast to consider.
4:  I sail single-handed on blue water in a windy area (Rockaway Inlet, N.Y.
Harbor.)  I have the regular mast and a 145% furler.  When it starts to blow
even when I lower the gooseneck and reef down the gennie to about 100% it's
still to much sail area.
5:  I am ordering a 100% furler and a new main which I will set up with
Harken Slab reefing.  That should be OK.

The boat is uncommonly responsive and for a sailboat comfortable.  I do not
view the tenderness as a liability since it can be dealt with by reduction
of sail area.  But with IMF system as delivered by G.B. I don't think it's
possible to reef sufficiently when the going get's heavy.

Richard Smith