[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

mltroy mltroy@netreach.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:24:43 -0500

Richard,
What kind of winds are you talking about when you talk about
being overpowered? We had several wonderful sails this year
in 18 - 20 knot winds with the 175 genoa reefed down and a
small reef in the IMF main.

While I have to agree with you on reefing the big genoa, one
thing you may not have considered is the infinate
reefability of the IMF main. We have found that by furling
the genoa significantly (routing the sheets to the cabintop
cleats) and reducing the main, we are able to keep the boat
from being overpowered. Unless we get the balance of the
size of the furled genoa vs. the size of the reefed main
just right, we can't point well but the boat is on her feet
and moving.

We do like the 175 for those 4 and 5 knot summer days on the
Chesapeake but someday may go to a furler (we have the old
style GBI furler) that will allow us to change sails for the
more vigorous winds in the spring and fall.

Mary Lou