[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

Christine Allison sailnut@asan.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:46:44 -0500

> What kind of winds are you talking about when you talk about
> being overpowered? >

I sail mostly single handed I my remarks are necessarily based on the
reality of that.  I know that the Rhodes responds unusually well to hiking.
With only my 110lb wife on the rail the boat is noticeably stiffer.

 Rockaway inlet is subject to thermal winds "sea breeze" starting at about
1:00PM and increasing till about sunset.  Under these conditions sustained
winds about 15 to 20 kt's are common and gust's to 25 to 30 kt's are
experienced.  These are marginal small craft conditions and with the chop
occasioned by relatively strong tidal currents can present a bit of a
challenge to a small boat.

Because of these conditions  most class racing is confined to heavily
ballasted small keel boats like the O'Day Mariner and the older Alberg
designs.

Boat's which are easily overpowered unless deep reefed  like catboats are
conspicuous by their absence.

You might be interested in knowing that if N.Y. will host the 2010 Olympics
the sailing events, because of the regular brisk winds, will be held be held
right off the point on the Atlantic Ocean (less gusty there)

It's fascinating to sail from Rockaway Inlet across the Outer N.Y. Harbor to
Great Kills Harbor (Raritan Bay) 15-20 miles.  Here the prevailing south
westerly flow seldom exceeds 15 knots and the air temperature is 10 to 15
degrees higher.  Under these conditions the IMF system could be fine.  Not
so on Rockaway Inlet.

Richard Smith