[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

Steve rhodes2282@yahoo.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:42:23 -0800 (PST)

Richard
Your right about heeling slowing down the boat and
that furling the headsail to much does hender
performance.  We're just pointing out that a 175%
Genoa is a tough old sail and that the Rhodes is a
tough old boat.

When we race (me & the guys) we throw the 1st reef in
the main when it starts backwinding so much that its
no longer pullin.  On an inland lake we can get away
with not having to try for the 2nd reef (40k about top
wind we have seen during a race).  We keep main flat
in heavy wind; Halyard tight, cunningham/downhaul, &
outhaul.  We try to keep it pulling and not
backwinding.  There is a point in there where you will
just have to let it backwind but the headsail will
keep pulling as long as it tight.  Mainsail must be
played at all times.  Bill normally works the traveler
continuely; full time job.  We try to keep the top
batten parrel with the boom as much as possible but we
maintain the 20 degree heel you refer to.

Backstays are tight with consideralbe mast bend.
Healsail halyard tight and genoa sheet leads adjusted
to allow a little spill at the top.  We use Maylar
headsails, 155% is maximun the rule allow without
taking a handicapp lost.  In order to keep the 155% in
use, we normally will take the lost with backwinding
the mainsail.  If your leads are adjusted properly
with the right amount of spill at the top; you can
maintain speed with the mainsail being icying on the
cake when it is not backwinding but I'm talking 40k
here.  We do keep out mainsail in play when possible.

This will work on any boat, from the Rhodes to many
others I have raced on.

Now what some folks call tender, I call responcive.
The Rhodes will respond quickly to the wind to the
point that the flare hit the water. Never dump your
headsail when this happens.  Traveler or mainsheet
will be enough to keep the boat in the groove.  In
heavy wind, I keep the headsail tight and pulling at
all time with adjustments for heel being made thru the
mainsail.

Anyway, I was't meaning to be an ass here at
Christmas.  Not that I not an ass but that I just
didn't mean to be one here at Christmas:-)
Later & I always enjoy the exchanges of
Cannonballs:-)!!!!
Steve