[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:14:52 -0500

Guys,

Like most sailboat hull shapes, the Rhodes 22 tends to develop weather helm
as it heels.  Thus, in gusty, overpowered conditions, it is desirable to
keep as much sail area up forward as possible in order to counteract this
tendency to build weather helm.  Masthead rigged boats also derive most of
their thrust from the genoa, which is another reason to leave as much of the
genoa flying as possible.  On Dynamic Equilibrium, we will put 2 reefs in
the mainsail before rolling up the 150% genoa at all.  By reefing the
mainsail 1st & keeping as much genoa up as possible, the Rhodes 22 will not
round up until the boat heels the rudder blade clear of the water.  By this
point, you had better have all the opening ports dogged down tight & you may
very well be taking water over the gunnel into the cockpit!  However, the
Rhodes 22 sails fastest when it is sailed as level as possible.  It is very
much like a big sailing dingy in that respect.  Most of the time, heeling is
controlled by playing with the mainsail's traveller.  It's the most
frequently used sail shaping control on the boat.  However, if the traveller
must be dumped to leeward more often than about once per minute in order to
prevent a knockdown or a broach, then it's time to put another reef in the
mainsail.  By the time the boat is heeling enough to put the leeward rail
goes into the water, you could be going much faster if you did something to
reduce heel like dump the traveller, put more weight on the windward rail,
or reduce sail area.  With its big, transom hung rudder and relatively light
weight, the Rhodes 22 is very responsive, especially with the latest
generation sails made with composite sailcloth and full batten mainsails.
The boat rewards an aggressive active style of sailing.

The Rhodes 22 is also very sensitive to fore/aft trim.  On flat water, a
slightly bow down trim is faster.  A slightly bow down trim allows the boat
to climb its own bow wave without burying the wide flat stern section of the
hull.  Burying the stern section causes a great deal of drag and turbulence,
rather like the lowering the flaps on an airplane wing.  If the boat is on
the verge of planning, a sensitive crew can actually initiate planning by
carefully shifting their weight forward to slightly sink the bow & reduce
the drag on the stern section.  Note, that this requires a very good crew
because they must also keep track of sail trim, helm control, wind shifts,
their proper course, and the other boats around them.  It works best with a
spinnaker on a broad reach.  In waves, a different strategy must be used
which involves steering a slalom course among the waves, surfing down the
faces of the waves and bearing off to climb the backsides.  In waves, the
best fore/aft trim is level with the design waterline.  Trimming down by the
stern is always slow & should be avoided under any conditions.

The neat thing about the Rhodes 22 is that you can also reduce sail area &
sail in passive mode under the same conditions if the crew does not feel
like or does not know how to sail actively that day.  It's really a
remarkable little boat.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium