[Rhodes22-list] Question, Solar panel regulator.

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:04:04 -0500

Alex,
You are so right.  As Rummy suspected, once we traced the rat's nest wiring
job done at GB, we found a blue wire labeled "solar."  (Could have saved 30
minutes if we had seen that sooner.)  Anyway, my batteries and panels are
wired in series, so both panels charge both batteries and both batteries
work together and cannot be isolated from each other.  That made it fairly
easy to tie in the regulator to both batteries and both panels.  Next, I did
not buy the $42 Costco batteries that I really wanted and let Rummy convince
me that the $75 Interstate batteries were the way to go.  Bought two new
ones and am now topping off the charge on them as I watch Fear Factor.  I
think the next episode they should have to rewire my boat.

The regulator appears to work because we covered the panels and the charge
light went off.  Will see if the other light goes on when the batteries are
at full charge.  Hopefully the problem is fixed now with this regulator.  I
shrunk the size of the batteries in this process as I had a Group 31 & 27
and now have two group 24 deep cycle batteries.   Should be more than enough
for instruments, lights and stereo.

Sailed a little today on Hartwell, but the wind died so we motored and drank
(not necessarily in that order).
Bob K

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf