[Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

Bob Weber rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 07:30:08 -0500

Slim,  The theoretical hull speed is 1.3 * square root of length on the
water.  Around 6 knots for the R-22.  Others have claimed greater speeds
however.  I don't have a knot meter and have not had Ideal sailing weather
in my short experience with the R-22.  With following seas the boat will
surf and reach greater speeds.  A broad reach will be your fastest point of
sail.  I would guess that 12 to 15 kn of wind would be Ideal with you sail
configuration.  Good luck busting the hull speed barrier.  The boat handles
like a dingy at low speeds I would not be suprised for it to plane out like
one either.  Bob Weber