[Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

Roland.John rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:04:41 -0400

There is an excellent article on hull speed on Judy Blumhorst's page.  =
(West Wight Potter site) check out =
http://blumhorst.com/potterpages/hullspeed.html While the charts are =
worked our for Potters the principles apply to all light weight =
sailboats.  Remember the formula (below) was worked out empirically from =
heavy displacement hull Bruitish warships. =20
John Rroland

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Weber [mailto:ruba1811@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 8:30 AM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

Slim,  The theoretical hull speed is 1.3 * square root of length on the=20
water.  Around 6 knots for the R-22.  Others have claimed greater speeds =

however.  I don't have a knot meter and have not had Ideal sailing =
weather=20
in my short experience with the R-22.  With following seas the boat will =

surf and reach greater speeds.  A broad reach will be your fastest point =
of=20
sail.  I would guess that 12 to 15 kn of wind would be Ideal with you =
sail=20
configuration.  Good luck busting the hull speed barrier.  The boat =
handles=20
like a dingy at low speeds I would not be suprised for it to plane out =
like=20
one either.  Bob Weber