[Rhodes22-list] South Haven

Paul Grandholm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:33:00 -0400

Bob,

     The weather is unpredictable very far in advance.  I took last week
off and it was dead calm with flat water all week until Friday afternoon
when it kicked up in two hours as I described earlier.  Saturday was one
of the best sailing days of the year.  Sunday was dead calm again until
about 4:00.  We went from motoring & swimming to sailing with full sails
to sailing with reefed sails all in less than an hour.
     I dug up the Lake Michigan Chart book I mentioned.  It was printed
in 1987, but it should be good enough.  I also have a Great Lakes
Cruising Club Port Pilot and Log Book that has aerial photos and
descriptions.  Both are in my office if you want to buzz down to St. Joe
early in the week.

Paul

>Paul, Thanks for the info.  I would like borrow a couple charts.  The
>Sagautuck run sounds like something my wife would really like.  The rest of
>the family usually goes up there via car for a day trip so mabey I can time
>it so I can bring one crew up and a more rested crew back down.  My record
>sail in this boat is 15 miles.  It is workable with good weather.  You don't
>have to tell me about the weather on lake mich.  I read about the mackinawa
>race and have heard the ballard of the ella fitzgerald.  Sheltered harbors
>are so few and far between I will really have to be assured of the weather
>before I set out on a cruise.  Does the wind drop off in late july / august
>like it does in MO?  I August sailboats are just funny looking pontoon boats
>and swim platforms.  See you soon.  Bob

Paul Grandholm
C&H Technology
GrandPower Components Div.