[Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:49:58 EDT

--part1_53.19ffa789.2a72ad86_boundary

hi steve
ive been sailing my rhodes 22 about 2 months....this is my first non fixed
keel sailboat and the smallest sailboat i have owned in 27 yrs of
sailing....i single hand and weigh about 160 lbs so forget about live
ballast....
rogers numbers are close to mine for sailing with the boom up...i find on a
close reach with my biradial 150genny i have to drop the boom at about 8 kts
so most of the time i just sail with it down and while the speed is less on a
reach i cant be bothered raising and lowering it in the tight area i sail
in....reaching and running i use a triradial utility purpose
sail...genneker... which furls on its own luff for easy handling...ive
acheived speeds in excess of hull speed per my gps..against the current...
im still adjusting to this new way of sailing..ive found that when i think i
should reduce sail...ive waited too long....the boat reacts fast to wind and
current shifts but the more i sail it the better it gets....or i get!!!
tom

--part1_53.19ffa789.2a72ad86_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>hi steve
<BR>ive been sailing my rhodes 22 about 2 months....this is my first non fixed keel sailboat and the smallest sailboat i have owned in 27 yrs of sailing....i single hand and weigh about 160 lbs so forget about live ballast....
<BR>rogers numbers are close to mine for sailing with the boom up...i find on a close reach with my biradial 150genny i have to drop the boom at about 8 kts so most of the time i just sail with it down and while the speed is less on a reach i cant be bothered raising and lowering it in the tight area i sail in....reaching and running i use a triradial utility purpose sail...genneker... which furls on its own luff for easy handling...ive acheived speeds in excess of hull speed per my gps..against the current...
<BR>im still adjusting to this new way of sailing..ive found that when i think i should reduce sail...ive waited too long....the boat reacts fast to wind and current shifts but the more i sail it the better it gets....or i get!!!
<BR>tom</FONT></HTML>

--part1_53.19ffa789.2a72ad86_boundary--