[Rhodes22-list] Maryland Marina Rhodes 22

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 19:14:33 -0500

Michael, I think we've seen the boat you are talking about. We used to eat
lunch at the Wild Duck fairly often and usually followed that with a walk
around the marina. Jim Harrison might know something about it as he has
kept R22s at Maryland Marina for a couple of years. Maryland has always
seemed like a nice place. We've known several people who have kept boats
there at one time or another and never heard any complaints except for the
noise from the planes taking off from Martin Airport. We used to sail out
of Bowley's at the mouth of the Middle River. The powerboat chop there is
something fierce but an R22 can handle it - you will get bounced around.
It's still pretty choppy all the way out until you are clear of
Hart-Miller. On the positive side we used to really enjoy anchoring in Sue
Creek and there is a good anchorage by Rocky Point State Park. You would be
joining the infamous (but fun) group of Middle River Rhodies: Jim Harrison
on Recess, Russ & Shirley Miller and Will Barry on Bulldog and Don and
Jeanne Clarke on Certainty.

Bowley's (at the mouth of the Middle River) is more expensive for slips and
the boats rock a lot from the chop. It's a nice place though. We kept
Fretless there for a couple of years and dry-sailed. They have a good ramp
and a good secure back lot.

All the Rhodes 22s I have ever seen on trailers have been on trailers with
bunks with the weight of the boat resting on the bunks. Not at all sure how
they would do an trailer with rollers.

As far as the boat goes - if the water is in the cockpit, that is one
thing. If the water is in the cabin you probably would have a real project
on your hands.

Best of luck.

Mary Lou
1991  R22  Fretless