[Rhodes22-list] Digital Cameras

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:05:21 -0500

Joe,

I bought my wife a $400 Pentax Optio 330 for her birthday last year.  So
far, we have shot over 7,000 pictures.  Figuring in the processing cost of
film at roughly $0.50 a picture, the camera has paid for itself many times
over.

The camera is extremely small, and we almost always have it with us.  We use
it as a photocopy machine.  We use it as a scanner.  We use it as a
scrapbook.  We increased the memory to 256MB-- high-speed-- which reduces
but does not eliminate the lag time between shots.  When the camera is
plugged into a computer, the computer sees it as another hard disk drive.
This allows us to easily move any type of computer file from one computer to
another.  The increased memory size permits us to take 155 pictures at 3.3
megapixils each.  We always shoot at the highest resolution because there is
no penalty for doing so.

The Pentax has expensive proprietary rechargeable batteries.  I bought three
additional.  These digital cameras can gobble up batteries.

When the prices come down I will get a top quality single lens reflex
digital camera.  They are faster, and the lenses are more capable.  However,
from experience, I know I will always shoot many more pictures with our
small "point and shoot" camera which is now always by my side.

Minolta now has a camera even smaller than the Pentax.  Believe it or not,
size seems to be the critical issue for women-- smaller is better!  It has
less resolution than the Pentax, but the folded optical path seems perfectly
adequate.  I would take a look at this one also.

Hope this helps,

Bill Effros