[Rhodes22-list] Knowledge Pool Question.

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:44:08 -0500

Rummy,

Just as with boats, the first question is "how do you intend to use it?"

HDTV standards are still in flux.  Do you have the ability to receive HDTV
where you live?  Will it bother you to view 4:3 signals on a 16:9 screen?
(For a discussion of this issue see
http://gregl.net/videophile/anamorphic.htm.)

You can get a good size good quality current generation television set at
Costco for 500 bucks.

At the other end of the spectrum, the new computer chip generated single
lens projectors look like the wave of future.  In a darkened room (that's
the catch), projected onto a 10 foot screen, sitting in a Barcalounger,
watching DVDs you'll forget you're not in a movie theater.  The new
projectors can display any aspect ratio and any source.  $10,000 will buy
you a good quality system, the equivalent of a $30,000 system last year.
Prices will continue to plummet.  The new systems are the size of a slide
projector, do not require calibration, and are inherently simpler and less
costly to manufacture.

Plasma screens are much brighter than projection systems, but are not big
enough to really make you think you are at the movies, if that is your
primary purpose.  They are much better for watching sports with a bunch of
other people where you don't want the lights out.  A friend just installed a
$20,000 system.  I'll wait.

Bill Effros