[Rhodes22-list] batteries

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 06:22:54 -0800 (PST)

Now that I have slip space it's time to put down the
West Marine and USBoat catalogs and actually do some
WORK!  If Steve can sail all year on Greers Ferry I
can sail all year on Pickwick, errrrr.  The original
electrical system plan was based on not having access
to AC at the dock or DC from an engine.  I have AC at
the dock so combined with my Guest 3-phase charger
"CoraShen" should always leave with a fully charged
bank.  Adding solar panels and/or an engine-driven
alternator probably isn't necessary now.
So here's the question:  I know that gel-celled and
AGM batteries are better suited for blue water
cruisers but at two to three times the cost are they
really necessary on a R-22?  I can buy deep-cycle lead
acid marine batteries at Sam's (group27, 180 amp) for
$50 each.  Ideas?

Brad (you can call me "The Dude") Haslett