[Rhodes22-list] batteries

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 09:43:15 -0500

Now that's a timely question. Our original battery has given up the ghost
after 5 years of moderate neglect. We also have shore power and our
electrical needs are pretty minimal even when we are cruising and away from
the dock for several days.

We are thinking of replacing the old battery with an AGM. Reasons: (1)
sealed - no need to add water which was one of our failings with the old
battery. we use the vberth for storage so getting in there is a pain in the
neck (2) sealed - our battery is located forward of the water tank and
while there is room for a tie down, there is not room for a battery box.
(3) an AGM can use the same charger as our old battery whereas it's somehow
different for the gel cells?

Feel free to poke holes in the logic or suggest other reasons why it might
be a good move.

Anybody have recommendations/ experience on AGM brands? We spoke with a rep
from "Lifeline" batteries at Annapolis. Evidently OEM equipment for some of
the big boats and big RV coaches.

Mary Lou