[Rhodes22-list] photo printers

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 15:34:33 -0500

All the technology is in the proprietary replaceable print heads.  The
companies are giving away the printers and selling the ink.  The different
colors of ink are used at a remarkably even rate.  Almost every pixel
printed is a blend of colors.  Mating the color ink jets increases the
accuracy.  Separating the cartridges sounds like a good idea but it isn't.
Just make sure the black cartridge is separate.  You will use far more black
ink than anything else.

Overall I would be inclined to stick with the Hewlett-Packard printers.  I
think the Epsons have the edge in photo printing quality which I would rate
as indistinguishable from traditional photographs in the sizes they are
capable of printing.  However, dollar for dollar they are slower than the
Hewlett-Packards, and have a higher cost per printed page.  Also, I don't
think their paper transport mechanism is either as reliable, or as durable.

A don't think the Canon printers are in the same league as either the Epson
or the Hewlett Packard.  Printers from other companies are more likely to
become orphans with little support when things go wrong.  My guess is that
there isn't enough room for all the printer companies now trying to sell
inkjet printers.  Stick with the likely survivors.

Within the Hewlett-Packard line, go to their web site and read the
specifications of all the different printers very carefully.  What is most
important to you?  Speed?  Cost per page?  Richness of color?  Size?
Initial cost?  You can buy a remarkably accurate printer at very low cost if
you are willing to give up speed.  Remember, they are in it for the ink.
Refill the ink cartridges, and the quality goes down.  The ink wears the
nozzles.

Bill Effros