[Rhodes22-list] genset mount

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:43:21 -0600

Brad,

One thought that has occurred to me is using the existing swim ladder.
Don't know what kind of ladder you have, or if you have one. On mine, the
top part, the part that swings down into the water, swings up and stows
against the aft rail. The hinges on the bottom end of this part are
parallel with and maybe a foot or so above the water. I was thinking that
if I could make a couple of fixed length strap type thingies (technical
term) that would attach between the aft rail and the ladder, I could then
hold the ladder in a position parallel to the water, forming a shelf of
sorts. Actually motor cycle tie downs might work quite well for this. the
hooks are about the right size, they aren't overly long and they are easily
adjustable. It wouldn't take much at this point to find something to fill
in the gaps between the steps, or maybe the genset will sit on the steps
without filling them in. It will also be very simple to secure the genset
to the ladder. Another motorcycle tie down strap could be run from the
ladder on one side of the genset up and through the handle on the genset
and down the other side to the ladder again. If it turns out the step is a
little too low, a box could be made to sit on the ladder and then the
genset could sit atop that. One good thing about this is that the ladder is
already solidly mounted to the boat, so no real structural stuff would have
to be done.

Just can't charge and swim at the same time, eh???

Hmmm......the more I think about this the better and easier it sounds. Wish
I had my genset at home so I could try it tomorrow.

wha-da-ya-think
Rik