[Rhodes22-list] scum

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 07:52:39 -0800 (PST)

Gil, I don't have any experience with Chesapeake scum
but I've dealt with a lot of inland lake scum from 10
years of ski-boats.  When I trailered we would swing
by the nearest carwash on the way home and that would
do it.  After using a slip space all year I'd do the
same thing but got in a hurry one year and let it dry
so you couldn't get the stuff off with a chisel.
Eventually kept the scum soaked in water and soap for
about three days and pressure washed it.  If you have
bottom paint a lot of it is going to come off with the
scum but now is a good time to bottom coat anyway.
...  I never worried about the bunk areas on the
ski-boats because the launch/retrieval process would
clean most of it but for the Rhodes 22 I built a
trailer lift from ideas found on this list and
trailer-sailor.com.  The simplest method is to build a
sawhorse type support to place under the stern with
the trailer tongue at its lowest point.  Jack the
tongue to its highest point and the hull will rise off
the bunks.  How fancy you get depends on how much
spare lumber you have.  I had just finished building a
spec home and live 2 minutes from Home Depot so my
apparatus would be overkill for most folks.  One of my
co-workers worked for the local sailboat dealer
through college and he verified that they did pretty
much the same thing on the smaller boats.